- Potassium works with sodium in monitoring the fluid balance in the body, transmission of nerve commands, muscle contraction and maintain the integrity of the heartbeat.
Conditions that requires potassium :
- Most types of foods contain adequate amounts of potassium, so it is usually rare emergence need happens to add potassium. However, a mild deficiency in people who drink coffee or alcoholic drinks in excessive amounts, or who have increased their intake of salty food, and diabetic patients.
Symptoms of deficiency :
- Early symptoms of potassium deficiency includes muscle weakness, fatigue, dizziness and confusion, also its may harm nerves and muscles, which may lead to heart diseases, skeletal muscles and bowel paralysis ( ileus ), in tarn may lead to constipation and in sever conditions may cause intestinal obstructions as a complication of bowel paralysis.
Symptoms of overdose :
- Maintenance the normal level of potassium in the body done by the kidneys, so excretion of any excess amount of it through the urine. Overdoses could lead to a disturbance in the heart rhythm and the paralysis of some muscles such as intestinal muscles. People who complain of imbalance in the kidneys work may accumulate potassium in the body, which will increases the risk of potassium poisoning. for example the patients treated with the blood dialysis (Hemodialysis) they should avoid foods rich in potassium as will accumulates in the body and lead to hyperkalimia.
- Potassium chloride, potassium gluconate, potassium compound the amino acid can be obtained without a prescription. Potassium chloride, potassium gluconate is used in abundance in salt-free sodium (salt substitute).
Best Sources :
- The best sources of potassium are green leafy vegetables, orange, potatoes and bananas, bread and cereals red meat, Pulses and milk. Many methods of food processing may lead to reduce the amount of potassium in the food.
Potassium Doses :
- The dose is determined individually depending on the product type. In general, the amount of the dose given between 2-6 grams of potassium chloride to avoid a its deficiency, for example, for people who are being treated with several types of medication, which caused potassium deficiency. for treatment a dose between 3 - 7.2 of potassium chloride given to the patient.
- (RDA) did not specify the recommended daily dose, but specialists advised to eat Daily amount equal to 2-6 grams of potassium chloride.